What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. Information used solely for journalistic purposes is exempted from the Act.
What personal information we collect, and why?
Police Auctions Canada collects personal information for specific, limited purposes. Information is collected by fair and lawful means.
- We collect personal contact information (for example, name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: sign up or register for an online forum or website, or purchase any product from Police Auctions Canada as an auction participant. This information is used to fulfill your request, and respond to your inquiries.
- We retain your subscriber ID and passwords so that upon request by you and receipt of identification we may remind you of them.
- We collect demographic information, as well as purchase history, in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better service.
- We may collect credit card information if you are an auction participant. This credit card information is used for the purpose of verification.
- We generally use your personal information for the purposes of managing, administering, reporting, collecting, or otherwise enforcing accounts; maintaining business records for reasonable periods of time and generally managing and administering our business; and meeting regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security, and processing requirements.
To whom does Police Auctions Canada disclose personal information, and why?
Police Auctions Canada may disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- Police Auctions Canada may transfer your personal information to service providers acting on its behalf in order to perform processing and other specialized services, for example, product delivery, or credit card processing.
- We may disclose your personal information to our affiliates for internal audit, management, billing, administrative, or other business purposes.
- When Police Auctions Canada needs to disclose your personal information to unrelated parties, for example, if we find you have violated any stated terms of service or conditions of purchase, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities and other legal reasons.
Generally, by providing us with your personal information, we will assume that you consent to our collection, use, and disclosure of such information for the purposes identified or described in this Privacy Code, if applicable, or otherwise at the time of collection. We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests.
Police Auctions Canada maintains personal information in a combination of paper and electronic files. We take technical, contractual, administrative, and physical security measures to protect your personal information. When you provide credit card information to use, we work to help protect the security of your credit card information by using industry-standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
Please be aware that our email address [email protected] is encrypted. Sensitive information should only be sent electronically through an encrypted email or if your browser indicates that the access to our website is secure.